March has arrived to remind us that the longer days are here and the dark Winter days are finally over. March also reminds us that our Winter Wellbeing challenge is nearly complete! Our Winter Wellbeing Challenge for Mindful March is Fresh Air! We’ve just completed Feel Good February and are well ready to take on the March Challenge! We began our Challenge Campaign last September. So far we taken on the challenges of Eat Well in September, Stay Active in October, Sleep Well in November, Connect with Others in December, Begin Doing in January and, of course, Feel Good in February. And we have learned and hopefully put into practice the many tips and words of advice during these months to help us to stay healthy in all aspects of our lives.
In March our expert who will guide us through the whole concept of Fresh Air and why it is so necessary for our overall health and wellbeing is Rory McCauley. Rory hails from Enniscorthy and it would be an understatement to say that he is enthusiastic about Fresh Air and the benefits that we can all experience in all aspects of our lives. Rory has very kindly come up with his Top Tips on how to experience the full and many delights of the outdoors. We are all aware that Fresh Air improves our sleep, is an aid to digestion, it fills our lungs with healthy breaths, it clears our minds after long days of work or stress and it can help to reduce our anxiety.
Why not take on the Mindful March challenge of Fresh Air. Make it a habit in this month to spend some time outdoors every day, just breathing in the fresh air. It will really improve your mood and wellbeing. Why not also take on one of the exciting challenges that Rory has suggested in his Top Tips for March!
Rory’s top tips include:
- Be curious outdoors
- Notice the beauty of nature
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Notice the changing seasons
- See the colour all around you
- Savour the moment
- Pay attention to the present moment, our thoughts/feelings
- Browse a bookshop for books on plants and wildlife
- Make bird boxes, nesting boxes
- Get out into nature
- Observe and enjoy the new growth in Spring in nature and in you
- Look forward towards brightness
- Walk\cycle without your phone
- Be aware of stillness around you outdoors
- Go on quiet walks in the countryside
- Enjoy the countryside-woodland\beach\birdsong
- Slow down
- Make slow movements
- Be aware
- Take deep breaths
- Enjoy positive thoughts
- Plant bulbs for Summer and Autumn
- Plant vegetables
- Take on a project in the garden
- Always look for new surroundings for walks and rambles
And don’t forget to let us know how you’re getting on by sending us photos of your efforts and activities!